Irish Soda Bread Recipe
I made this Irish soda bread recipe today, in honor of St. Patrick’s day! But you can take the Irish out and make this soda bread any time of the year really. You can add raisins to give it a sweeter taste. Last year spring was much earlier and the clovers were already out – I found a four leaf clover to serve as a tiny little but big lucky garnish. This year spring hasn’t come as early so I’ll garnish with kale! May not be as lucky as a four leaf clover, but it sure is healthier!
Ingredients (this makes 1 loaf):
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Cups almond milk
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon baking powder
2 Cups whole wheat flour
2 Cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
½ Teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons margarine (chilled)
1) Preheat oven to 420 degrees F.
2) Mix the lemon juice and almond milk. Then add the baking soda. Set aside.
3) Mix the whole wheat flour with the all-purpose flour, then add in the baking powder, sugar, and salt. Wisk these dry ingredients together.
4) Cut in cubes of the margarine into the flour mixture. Combine with hands until the mixture looks crumbly.
5) Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then add the almond milk mixture to the well.
6) Combine into a dough ball. If it is too wet, add a little flour. If it is too dry, add a little almond milk.
7) Place the dough ball on a floured baking sheet or in an iron skillet (I use an iron skillet). Use a knife to cut an “X” into the center/top of the dough ball to help the bread bake evenly.
8) Bake for 15 minutes, then turn temperature down to 400 degrees F and bake for another 20 minutes.
9) Cool on a baking rack (out of the skillet or baking sheet).
Enjoy! And why yes it is a vegan Irish bread recipe!
● Some folks like to mix in caraway seeds and raisins before putting in the oven.
● I would like to try mixing in some raspberries and white chocolate chips next time!
Other variations? What are some of your variations on Irish soda bread that your family loves?
Like this recipe? Join our Community today!
Photo of Irish Soda Bread Recipe: